School Crossing work has it's challenges like with any job, but what we see happen on our roads leaves us bewildered and shaking our heads in what drivers are doing out there, this last fortnight has been very cold and it always seems to hose down with rain between 3 and 4pm, another challenge of the job. You would think pedestrians crossing at traffic lights would be safe, not always...
Well, the weeks are moving along so quickly, and I am not sure if this is a good thing or not! Last week in Melbourne was bitter cold, in fact I think it was the worst week of winter we could possibly have, but then again it is winter!
Welcome to School Crossings Victoria.
We created this website for information relating to school crossings in Victoria as there was nothing out there. The aim of the Chairpersons notebook is to blog and interact with members of the public on a regular basis. Each state in Australia manages their crossings differently and eventually we will have links and information about that for people interested.
Think Healthy Weight
Last week was healthy weight week. From Sunday 20 to Sunday 27 January Australia’s Healthy Weight Week (AHWW) encourages all Australians to achieve and maintain a healthy weight and a healthy lifestyle. While the AHWW came to an end, School Crossings Victoria knows the importance of achieving and maintaining a healthy weight and a healthy lifestyle and is prepared to share some of the tips to making this possible.
Why eat better, feel better and move more NOW?
• A healthy weight helps you live life to the full!
• Eating better food and being active helps you feel healthy and happy
• If your weight is healthy it is important to keep it healthy
• If you are overweight losing a few kilograms will make a big difference to your health
What does ‘eating better’ actually mean?
Eating better means:
• Eating at least two serves of fruit and five serves of vegetables every day
• Eating a healthy breakfast • Regularly choosing wholegrain breads and cereals
• Choosing reduced fat dairy foods
• Choosing lean meat options and trimming visible fat from meat
• Limiting high kilojoule and high fat food and drink to once a week or less
• Eating smaller serves • Drinking plenty of water
• Seeking the expert advice of an Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) if you need some extra help How can I lose weight, and KEEP it off? Top tips to lose weight and keep it off:
• Ensure your diet is nutritionally balanced by including foods from all the different food groups (breads and cereals, fruit, vegetables, meat and meat alternatives, dairy foods and alternatives)
• Set realistic and achievable goals to suit your lifestyle
• Watch your portion sizes
• Monitor your progress with a food and exercise diary
• Include some daily physical activity
For more information visit www.healthyweightweek.com.au/
Sunsmart in the workplace Australia has one of the highest rates of skin cancer in the world. Each year there are more than 10,000 new cases of melanoma and almost 1,900 Australians die from this largely preventable disease. In Victoria, from September to April, UV reaches damaging levels of three and above; increasing the risk of skin cancer. Reduce your risk of sun damage and skin cancer this year. Check the SunSmart UV Alert each day for the daily sun protection times at www.sunsmart.com.au, in the daily newspaper or on your smartphone (through the free SunSmart app).
Use a combination of the five SunSmart steps when protection is needed: Slip on sun-protective clothing Slop on SPF30+ broad spectrum, water resistant sunscreen 20 minutes before going outdoors and re-apply every two hours afterwards Slap on a broad-brimmed hat that protects your face, head, neck and ears Seek shade Slide on sunglasses: make sure they meet Australian Standards Remember that UV levels are most intense during the middle of the day. If you are outdoors, protect yourself from harmful effects of sun by:
• Using shade in your work place when you can
• Protect yourself from ultraviolet radiation by wearing long sleeved clothing, sun protective hats, sunglasses and sunscreen
• Work with your employer to minimise UV exposure
For further information about reducing your risk of skin cancer visit www.cancervic.org.au/preventing-cancer/be-sunsmart
Where you can get larger information about how to take cialis? Drugs, like Viagra, without fail, is going to perfect your life. In our breed more than half of men aged 40 to 70 reported some stage of erectile dysfunctions. How to take cialis 5mg? Of course. Realizing what underlying stressors may exist may be the most important step in treatment.
Article Courtesy of Dandenong Leader Monday 28th January
Watch Out Around Schools
School goes back next week for students in the Dandenong, Berwick and Pakenham areas, and while many parents will be delighted at the thought, the student's reactions may not always be enthusiastic.
It's a good time to remember that a lot of things change for all of us when school goes back, and many of them are to ensure the safety of the students.
On the roads not only will there be more traffic, but 40km/h zones around schools will begin operating again, cars will stop in drop off zones as they ferry kids to and from school, and there will be more people on bicycles and getting on and off public transport to contend with our regular journeys.
Our kids spend a huge amount of time (around 1200 hours per year) at school, with schools taking on a serious duty of care to keep our children safe.
But we all have a responsibility to take heightened care around schools on the roads. We wish all students the best of luck this school year, and we hope they stay safe, both in and around the school grounds.
Maurice Blackburn Lawyers, Dandenong
Where you can get better information about how to take cialis? Drugs, like Viagra, without burst up, is going to better your life. In our generation better than half of men aged 40 to 70 reported some stage of erectile dysfunctions. How to take cialis 5mg? Of course. Realizing what underlying stressors may exist may be the most great step in treatment.
Herald Sun/Bayside Leader
Where you can get larger info about how to take cialis? Medicaments, like Viagra, without fail, is going to better your life. In our generation larger than half of men aged 40 to 70 reported some power of erectile dysfunctions. How to take cialis 5mg? Of course. Realizing what underlying stressors may exist may be the most important step in treatment.